Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Special Interest in the Government

     My classmate Meagen McCrory wrote an article about special interest groups and I thought I would take the time to reply to and maybe expand upon my opinion in this matter. She writes saying that special interest groups being associated with our government is wrong. I do agree that when special interest groups are putting their former execs in to political offices which could definitely affect the abilities of their company, it should not be allowed and most definitely looked in to.
     On the other hand, it's not completely bad for these men to be in this type of office. If a man who was an executive to a large company such and Monsanto and is now in office dealing with food and farming regulation, it's a bad thing that he was once associated or may still be associated with his former company, but I'd rather him working a department of government he's familiar with, rather than him working in the department of homeland security where he has no prior experience.

 Don’t get me wrong here, I am not saying at all that we should, or even that it’s possible, to get rid of special interest groups and lobbyists.  What I would really like to see happen is a more stringent regulation on how the Iron Triangle interacts and affects our nations policies.  I want more accountability and less ability for such conflict of interests to happen between our government and corporations.
     I completely agree with this statement. It is the epitome of my view on this subject. I believe there should be some very strict regulations on people who have associations with firms in their field. In this case it is my opinion that the man should not be able to accept any financial aid from his past affiliates without first going through some sort of approval process.
     Meagan writes the article very well and definitely gets her point across. The formatting on her blog is better than that of any of my peers, who's blogs I've looked at. Very nicely written work.

No comments:

Post a Comment